My First Post

Topic 1

 I am in this class because I am a business marketing major as of now. I really want to get into sports marketing or something along those lines. I am interested in learning how marketing really works these days and how I can use it to my advantage if I ever own my own company or even just work for a company in a marketing position. I like that it has become more about social media and is mostly internet based because that is something I am comfortable with.

 I am very passionate about health and fitness, especially weight lifting. It became my favorite thing to do after I quit softball and I haven't stopped since. It helps me both mentally and physically and I think that is the best thing about exercise. I hope to someday get my personal training certification so I can work with other people as well.

Topic 2- Marketing Article

Are We Facing a Technology Oligarchy?

I chose to read an article on Forbes written by Steve Andriole. This article was about how Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook own huge market shares which ultimately will result in a technology oligarchy. I was interested in this topic because it was something we have been discussing in class, and it's extremely relevant in my life and the life of my peers.

This article discussed how in the last 10 years, technology has come a long way. They have overthrown the previous largest companies in the world like Exxon, GE, China Mobile, and PetroChina. He says we are "racing toward a technology oligarchy which will define our personal and professional lives,” and touches on how start ups may no longer even have a shot. Is that what we want? Big companies throwing everyone else out? He poses the question of how we will deal with this. Do we regulate it? Do we let it happen? Do we vote to stop it? Maybe it isn’t so bad after all. Marketing is changing and technology is taking over. Businesses have to adapt. That is the main challenge a lot of businesses are dealing with. New companies may soon not have a shot at being successful unless they truly understand how the market is moving and how much impact companies like Google and Amazon have on them.

Technological marketing has changed from previous marketing strategies by the fact that it does not use the same advertising strategies as much as it did in the past such as commercials, billboards, magazines, etc. It is more about what the consumer is searching, what they want, and what they are talking about. It is all about data mining. Google knows how to work the consumer.

If I was a business owner trying to market to consumers, I would focus primarily on internet advertising and trying to get Google to put me on the top list. If we fight that Google is the leader in this industry, we will most likely lose that battle and not be seen when searched.

Comments

Popular Posts